|SILVA KNEEING SONNEN IN THE CHEST. PHOTO|
A DEEPER BREAKDOWN OF SILVA VS SONNEN 2
On the horn:
SR WRITERBrazilian Correspondent "Chael fought me and I fought Chael. . .This is a sport. I have nothing against Chael." Silva said post fight. "If you [Chael] would like to have a barbecue at my house, I'd like to have you over."
(CONTINUED). . . GIFS INCLUDED!
This is an opinion piece by TY SILVA
1) The promotional forces of the UFC completely control the sport of MMA.
Whatever Zuffa ‘s marketing team feeds the media become accepted as fact. Chael Sonnen was hailed by the promotion as a worthy contender for the sport’s most prized belt despite his first loss to the champion and his legal troubles both in and out of the sport. He was readily embraced by the MMA community as the man to dethrone Anderson “The Spider” Silva regardless of the circumstances surrounding their first fight.
2) The sports greatest fighter continues to be under appreciated.
3) The sport of MMA is still deeply misunderstood, even by its “experts” and most hardcore fans.Sonnen is being described by fans and the media alike as having “silenced and neutralized” Silva during the first round of last night’s encounter, but the exact opposite happened and it was Sonnen who was shut down on the ground for over four minutes. Chael had top position the entire first round, but yet was unable to do any damage at all and never managed to attempt a single submission. His ground game, although executed from a dominant position, was successfully “silenced and neutralized” by “The Spider”.
4) Wrestling is NOT the best base for MMA.This old argument by UFC commentator Joe Rogan and others in the sport holds no water whenever put to the test. Sonnen's wrestling was supposed to be the difference that was going to allow him to steal Silva’s belt. Instead Sonnen had his feared wrestling negated by a Striker/Grappler and ended up being rescued by the referee from receiving more serious damage in the second round. By all means wrestling does develop tremendous mental and physical toughness through its work ethic, which translates really well into MMA. As a martial art, however, it is absolutely not superior to the actual fighting systems, be it on the ground or standing. Brazilian jiu jitsu fighters often prevail in taking wrestlers and Judo guys down in MMA, like Demian Maia did against Sonnen before and against Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 148. Wrestling does require techniques, but it is largely based on athleticism. GSP is a great example. The most important thing in fighting is to know how to fight both standing and on the ground, and the sport’s premier fighter is the perfect embodiment of that.
5) Silva is the undisputed GOAT of MMA.
CLICK HERE TO HEAR VERBAL SCRAP on your IPHONE.
SUBSCRIBE TO VERBAL SCRAP FOR FREE CLICK HERE!
SUBSCRIBE TO VERBAL SCRAP ON ITUNES CLICK HERE!
Certified Cross Trainer
Certified Functional Movement Systems Professional
Professional Massage Therapist
Professional Active Isolated Stretching Therapist
Editor In Chief: Johnny